for the 2013 First / Second Book Results
The First / Second Book Award includes a cash award of $3,000 in addition to publication by Tupelo Press, a book launch, and national distribution with energetic publicity and promotion. Manuscripts are judged anonymously. All finalists will also be considered for publication. This competition is open to all poets who have not yet published a full-length collection of poetry and those who have published only one full-length book. Previously published poems with proper acknowledgment are acceptable. Translations are not eligible, nor are previously self-published books. Employees of Tupelo Press and authors with books previously published by Tupelo Press are not eligible.
Submit a previously unpublished, full-length poetry manuscript of between 48 and 88 pages (of poems). Include two cover pages: one with the title of the manuscript only, the other with title of manuscript, name, address, telephone number, and email address. Include a table of contents and, if applicable, an acknowledgments page for prior publications in periodicals or online venues. Cover letters or biography notes are optional; if included, these will not be read until the conclusion of the contest.
- The First / Second Book Award is open to anyone writing in the English language, whether living in the United States or abroad. Translations are not eligible for this prize.
- In addition to first books of poetry, and in recognition of the many difficulties of publishing a second book, this contest is open to submissions from those who have previously published one book of poems.
- Individual poems in a contest manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, print or web journals, or anthologies, but the work as a whole must be unpublished (this includes previously self-published books).
- Simultaneous submissions to other publishers or contests are permitted, as long as you notify Tupelo Press promptly if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- All finalists will also be considered for publication.
- Tupelo Press endorses and abides by the Ethical Guidelines of the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses (CLMP), which can be reviewed here, along with more about Tupelo Pressís ethical considerations for literary contests.
- Before you submit a manuscript to a Tupelo Press competition, please consider exploring the work of the poets we have published. Weíre drawn to technical virtuosity combined with abundant imagination; memorable, vivid imagery and strikingly musical approaches to language; willingness to take risks; and penetrating insights into human experience.
A reading fee of $28 (US) by check or Pay Pal must accompany each submission. If sending a check, please make this payable to Tupelo Press, Inc. Multiple submissions are accepted, so long as each submission is accompanied by a separate $28 reading fee.
Why a reading fee?
We are an independent, nonprofit literary press. Reading fees help defray, though they donít fully cover, the cost of reviewing manuscripts and publishing the books we select through our competitions.
If mailing your submission, you may include a stamped, self-addressed postcard for confirmation of your manuscriptís receipt. The online Submissions Manager (see below) automatically confirms receipt.
If you like, enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope (SASE) for notification of the winner. An email announcement will also be sent to all entrants. Do not enclose a SASE for return of manuscript; all manuscripts will be recycled at the conclusion of the competition, except those under consideration for future publication.
Kindly refrain from requesting an individual response to confirm our receipt of your manuscript and/or payment. Both the electronic submission manager and the PayPal system offer automated confirmations. For those wishing acknowledgment of a paper manuscript, your self-addressed stamped postcard will serve this purpose. We receive thousands of manuscripts each year and cannot offer individual acknowledgments beyond these. Thank you for your understanding.
Results will be announced in late July 2013.
to submit electronically. The online submission system will be accepting First/Second Book Award manuscripts between January 1 and April 30, 2013.
Online PayPal Payment
Click below to pay the reading fee for online or postal mail submissions:
Submission via Postal Mail
We also accept manuscripts via postal mail. Please include a check or money-order for the $28 reading fee, payable to Tupelo Press, or utilize our online PayPal option and enclose a copy of the receipt with your printed submission.
You may also include a self-addressed postcard for acknowledgment of receipt of your manuscript and a SASE for notification of the winner, who will also be announced by email.
Mail your submission (and check or PayPal receipt) to:
Tupelo Press First/Second Book Award
PO Box 1767
North Adams, MA 01247
International submissions only:
Tupelo Press First/Second Book Award
243 Union Street, Eclipse Mill #305
North Adams MA 01247 USA
All entries must be postmarked or certified by our online Submissions Manager between January 1 and April 30, 2013.