Tupelo Press is now reading submissions of fiction (including novels and short story collections) and creative nonfiction year-round.
If you wish to submit:
- short story collections, novellas, and/or literary nonfiction/memoir – please send the entire manuscript
- novels – please submit no more than 100 pages along with a summary of the entire book. If we’re interested in reading more, we’ll ask you to send the rest.
Please keep in mind that this is not a contest. Manuscripts are not read anonymously. We hope to find manuscripts we love and want to publish, but understand, please, that Tupelo Press is under no obligation to publish any of the prose manuscripts submitted to us. Please also bear in mind that Tupelo Press accepts very few works of prose — no more than one or two per year. All manuscripts will be read and all decisions made by the editors of Tupelo Press only.
There is a reading fee of $45 for each prose manuscript submitted. Why a reading fee? We are an independent, nonprofit literary press. Reading fees help defray, but do not by any means cover, the significant time involved in reading works of prose, and the cost of publishing the books we commit to. Before submitting, be deeply thoughtful about whether your manuscript is fully ready for publication. Please don’t send works of prose previously submitted to us, unless specifically asked to do so.
**As of May 2018, our Fiction submissions have been temporarily closed while we catch up with current submissions. We’ll reopen them soon!**
Submission online, via Submittable
- Submit the first 100 pages of your manuscript via Submittable, our submissions manager
- Double space and number each page and please include a summary of the book
- Submittable has fields for all contact information and will prompt you for payment
You may submit your manuscript online here.
Submission via Postal Mail
- Be sure that you provide contact information, including address, phone number and email address.
- Include the reading fee of $45, payable to Tupelo Press. We accept checks, money orders, credit cards, or PayPal:
Pay here with PayPal – The safer, easier way to pay online!
- Include a SASE for notification. Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Use standard (8-1/2 x 11) paper unless you are submitting from outside the US.
- Double-space; print one side only, and number each page.
- Include an acknowledgments page, listing previously published short stories, or excerpts.
Mail your manuscript to:
PO Box 1767
North Adams, MA 01247